[gis_info] GIS Certificate Program: Call for projects (UW Professional and Continuing Education)
Harvey.Arnone at seattle.gov
Mon Oct 12 15:37:03 PDT 2015
It is that time of the year again: the UW Professional and Continuing Education GIS Certificate program is gearing up for another year of student projects. As in the past, we are looking for project ideas and sponsors for our student teams. If you have a project idea that might be a good fit for the students of the GIS Certificate Program, we'd love to hear about it.
Here's a little bit about what would make a good student project:
* Size: should be appropriate for a 3-4 (maybe 5) student project team
* Schedule: projects really kick into gear January 1st, though some planning takes place during the months prior to this. Deliverables are completed and handed over to the sponsor in June.
* Content: the project should involve more than just data development/creation in order to give the students a good learning experience
* Sponsorship: some of our best projects have been real tangible projects from organizations around the region. These projects are typically efforts that the organization has wanted to do, but until now was unable to address due to limited resources.
* Time commitment for sponsors: does not need to be a great impact from you. Some students interview their sponsors to understand the needs and requirements and then work independently from that point forward. Other projects have very active sponsors who meet several times with the student team, review documents, provide feedback, and receive periodic status reports from the team.
I have found that many organizations have perfect candidate projects in tasks that have been lingering on the back-burner for some time. Using students, it is a great way to get some of these small projects done and at the same time provide valuable experiences for the students. In terms of quality, many of the project have had very happy sponsors. Some sponsors have provided great feedback and a few of them have gone on to hire some of the students.
If you have any questions or project ideas, please feel free to contact me. Here are the details that we
would need to get started:
* Sponsor name and contact information
* Name of proposed project
* Description of proposed project (a short paragraph is fine)
Ideally we would like to hear your idea by the end of October as the students will begin discussing projects the first Monday of November. However, if you think of a project later than that, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks ahead of time. Please feel free to forward this to others as you see fit.
Instructor, GIS Certificate Program (UW Professional and Continuing Education)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the gis_info