[kids-lib] Urgente! Mock Pura Belpré Award
MartinB at wccls.org
Tue Sep 8 15:10:04 PDT 2015
As you can see below, the OLA’s Children’s Services Division has invited all librarians working with the Latino community to organize a Mock Pura Belpré Award (first time in Oregon!). I volunteer to be the coordinator for this event, but I need your help:
1. Does anybody know of a presenter, or presenters, that can share her/his expertise in issues related to outreach, programs, collection development, etc. related to Latino childrens? (you can read below that this person may be somebody from Oregon or an expert from other states.)
2. I will need a group of volunteers to help me organize the meeting and collect books submissions.
3. If your library can host the event (if this is not possible, I could check in Washington County)
4. Can you begin submitting titles of books published during 2015?
Attached you’ll find two documents. One with the Pura Belpré Award terms and criteria, the other, a form for submitting titles of books (taking into account the criteria for the prize.)
Let’s take advantage of this opportunity. We, as librarians, are taking great steps to improve our work with the Latino community, for lots of us, our community. I hope that you are interested.
One of the conditions is to do this event before January 2016 (when the real Pura Belpré committee selects the best books). Sometime in December (maybe at the beginning).
Attached you’ll find more info about the award. This information will help us to organize the mock award.
If you’re interested, please, contact me. Thank you so much, in advance, for your help.
Have a great week,
Outreach Librarian for Latino and Youth Services Program
Washington County Cooperative Library Services | 503-681-5093
martinb at wccls.org<mailto:martinb at wccls.org> | facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls<http://www.facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls>
“[¿Y cómo te gustaría que te recordaran?] Como alguien que quería dar alegría a los demás, aunque no le saliera siempre.”
“[And, how would you like to be remembered?] Like somebody who wanted to give joy to others, even if I couldn’t do it all the time.”
María Elena Walsh (Argentine poet, novelist, musician, playwright, writer and composer, mainly known for her songs and books for children).
From: Barratt Miller [mailto:BMiller at crooklib.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 4:48 PM
To: Martín Blasco
Subject: Mock Pura Belpré Award
As you probably know, OLA’S Children’s Services Division does a Mock Award workshop every year. This year, we’d like to highlight the Pura Belpré Award and provide some professional development opportunities for children’s librarians serving Oregon’s Spanish-speaking communities.
Since this aligns with Reforma Oregon’s mission, I thought it would be a great opportunity to reach out to you. Could you forward this request to the Reforma Oregon listserv to see if anyone would like to coordinate? (Or knows someone who would be an awesome coordinator.)
The CSD Mock Pura Belpré Award Coordinator has two primary tasks:
1. Arrange the full day Saturday event prior to the announcement of the ALA Youth Media Awards at the 2016 Midwinter Conference (no later than January 9, 2016)
· Half day workshop for librarians focusing on services to Spanish-speaking members of our communities (outreach, programs, selecting materials for our collections, etc.)
o Presenter may be an Oregon librarian or an expert from outside the Oregon library community
o CSD will provide up to $1000 to bring in a presenter from outside the Oregon library community
· Half day mock award committee
2. Compile shortlist of eligible titles through nominations and lead award discussion, following official Pura Belpré Award guidelines: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/belpremedal
CSD Chair 2015-16
Barratt Miller, MSLIS
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Drive
Prineville, OR 97754
541-447-7978 ext 303
bmiller at crooklib.org<mailto:bmiller at crooklib.org>
Crook County Library – Experience the Journey!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Kids-lib