[Libs-Or] Public Library Directors: SAVE THE DATE for the Annual Public Library Directors' Meeting on 10/10 AND OLA conference topics for public libraries

Maureen Cole mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us
Fri Aug 15 14:51:41 PDT 2014

Hi all:

1)      The PLD Board has scheduled the next Oregon Public Library Directors' Meeting for October 10, 2014 at the Hillsboro Public Library<http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/index.aspx?page=89> at 2850 NE Brookwood Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124. The official meeting will be from 10-2; the unofficial pre-meeting schmoozing time will start at 9:30 a.m. Morning refreshments and drinks will be provided. Lunch will be BYO or available for a small fee - stay tuned for more on lunch options as we get closer to the date. When we send out the lunch info, we will also ask for RSVPs. Expect to see that about a month prior to the meeting.
At present, our agenda includes 1) the Oregon Public Library Standards and other PLD projects (like creating a policy clearinghouse), 2) Oregon State Librarian Mary Kay Dahlgreen and Manager of Library Development Susan Westin, 3) Drug-free zones for libraries and 4) SWAT for Public Libraries (remember the keynote speakers at the conference?), and 5) last but not least, our OLA President, Candice Watkins will fill us in on OLA activities.  Plus, if you have topics of interest to the entire Oregon public library directors' community, we would like to add them to the agenda. Please send these ideas as soon as you have them!

2)      Next topic: the annual OLA conference! We have been notified that pre-conference and session proposals will be requested soon and will be due before the end of September. YIKES!
We'd really want to offer sessions that meet your training and information needs. Therefore, we need to hear from you. What are those topics which would benefit not just your stuff but other library staff from around the state? What is the topic which you recently said 'if only they had a conference session on this!' We need to hear about those.
    Here are the topics that have been on our minds. What about you?
-high conflict people
     -the Edge initiative: what is it, how does it relate to Public Library Standards
  -Egov't services
        -grants, foundations and fundraising
        -social workers in libraries

3)      And, finally, speaking of the annual conference and public library directors, we talked at one time about getting the directors together more than once a year. Timing gets difficult. What would you think about a directors' pre-conference if we got a really good speaker like Pam Sandlian Smith<http://www.anythinklibraries.org/news-item/anythinks-pam-sandlian-smith-present-tedxmilehigh>? Again, another topic which needs to be decided before we get together October 10.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for your help!

Pam North, outgoing chair, PLD

Mo Cole, incoming chair, PLD

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFB7CC.AA4677B0]

Maureen Cole
Library Director
mcole at orcity.org<mailto:mcole at orcity.org>
Oregon City Public Library
606 John Adams St.
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
503-657-8269 ext. 1010 Direct phone
503-657-3702 fax

Website: www.orcity.org/library<http://www.orcity.org/library>
Follow us on: Facebook!<https://www.facebook.com/oregoncitylibrary>
Subscribe to our email newsletter!<http://orcity.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=271f21539981149d9f0576ba6&id=38181f8585>
PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE: This e-mail is subject to the
State Retention Schedule and may be made available to the public.