[Libs-Or] [Libs-Or} age restriction on wifi hotspot checkout

Intellectual Freedom Committee ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Thu Jul 25 15:51:35 PDT 2024

Hi library community,
I just wanted to chime in on this question.  I already responded to Kathy
directly but thought this might be helpful to share to the larger group.

>From the perspective of intellectual freedom, it would not be best practice
to put age-restrictions on any of your library materials, including realia
such as hotspots.  For example, it can easily be argued that kids, in
particular, should have access to the internet as much of their school work
is online and this could create a service discrepancy based on age.

In the argument of free and open access to information, this would
certainly be an information outlet you would likely want to have open
access to.

That said, since these devices can be pricey, you can certainly ask for a
parent to sign for the child as the responsible party to the device, should
it get lost or broken.

Just some thoughts from the IFC - please reach out if you have any
questions.
Emily and IFC
Chair - ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Intellectual Freedom Committee https://www.olaweb.org/if-home
Oregon Library Association https://www.olaweb.org/

Disclaimer: all information provided by the IFC is intended for
informational purposes only.  This is not to be considered legal advice.
Should you need legal advice, we recommend contacting a practicing attorney
in your jurisdiction.

We also only allow one per household.

Kathy Street

Library Director

541-481-3365

________________________________
From: Libs-Or <libs-or-bounces at omls.oregon.gov
Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney via Libs-Or <libs-or at omls.oregon.gov
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2024 1:31 PM
To: LIBS-OR at omls.oregon.gov
Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] Age restriction on wifi hotspot checkout

We chose not to restrict by card type, since we don’t restrict most
other things in the catalog by age. However, we do have a rule that
(barring unusual circumstances), only one hotspot per household can be
checked out at a time.

[dwsquare2]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney

(She/They)

Library Director

__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library

801 SW Hwy 101  |  Ste 201  |  Lincoln City, OR

P: 541.996.1251

E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org