[Libs-Or] PSU Library

Steph Miller stephaniem at multcolib.org
Sat May 4 08:45:00 PDT 2024

Thank you for initiating this dialogue, Wendy. I just viewed the image
gallery
<https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2024/05/walk-through-of-portland-state-universitys-library-after-three-night-occupation-reveals-damage-its-ugly.html>in
The Oregonian and the <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PCbp2Ce-E> video
walkthrough <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PCbp2Ce-E>. My heartfelt
condolences go out to all those who have been negatively affected by these
protests.
I am curious about the lasting impact of the destruction of the Millar
Library on the library workers, university students and educators, and the
Portland community as a whole. As a library worker in the Portland
area, I also want
to understand why the library was chosen to be the place for this
demonstration and destruction.

*Steph Miller, MLS
<https://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations>she/they
pronouns*
*Tue-Sat*
*Regional Librarian for Mid County Region** (Holgate, Gregory Heights,
Woodstock, Midland Libraries) **& Union **Steward*
Multnomah County Library <http://www.multcolib.org/>
503.477.1827 (text - preferred)
503.988.5458 (call)

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 4:54 PM CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO via Libs-Or <
libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> wrote:

> External -
> [image: External Sender]
>
> I wanted to take a moment to offer my support and solidarity to the PSU
> Library. You’ve likely seen the news footage from Portland State University
> Millar Library. It's disheartening to witness this destruction, but it's in
> times like these that our strength and resilience truly shine through.
>

> As library folk, we understand the immense value that libraries hold in
> our society. They are not just buildings filled with books; they are
> beacons of knowledge, centers of learning, and sanctuaries of inclusivity
> and understanding. This serves as a reminder of the challenges we face in
> safeguarding the ideals of education and accessibility.
>

> For those looking for ways to help, here’s part of the message from the
> Library <https://library.pdx.edu/news/message-from-the-library/>:
>

> “While we appreciate the generosity of spirit, we probably won’t be in
> charge of the library cleanup immediately; campus facilities will need to
> do quite a bit of work to make the building safe. Our first priority is to
> ensure the safety of the Special Collections and University Archives
> materials, which are extremely vulnerable at this time. We also hope to
> establish a service point for circulation and research help elsewhere on
> campus. We don’t have any specific fundraisers right now, but we anticipate
> a lot of need as we restore library spaces for our staff and our students.
> You are welcome to give to the Library Fund
> <https://giving.psuf.org/s/1904/lg21/form.aspx?sid=1904&gid=2&pgid=811&cid=2485&bledit=1&dids=2090> if
> you would like to help us to recover.“
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Wendy
>

> *Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)*
>
> State Librarian
>
> State Library of Oregon
>
> wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov
>
> Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
> www.oregon.gov/library
>
> Follow us: Facebook <http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram
> <https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest
> <https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>* | *YouTube
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
>
> [image: Title: State Library of Oregon]

[This email was encrypted for your privacy and security]