[or-roots] Fruitland Express

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Oct 26 18:05:04 PDT 2006

Some time back a post here was asking for the location of the "Fruitland
Express" because the person posting had an ancestor who worked on that
train.

I was unable to come up with any such train and if I recall correctly only
had wild guesses as to where it could have been;

I find a reference, ironically in a train watcher oriented web site, to
Fruitland being half an hour south of Payette, Idaho on US 95, apparently it
is close to Ontario, Oregon;

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/Idaho.html

I also found a couple of references that appear to be talking about what are
known as "reporting marks" I believe but they call; UPRR TRAIN SYMBOLS which
refer to a railroad ( I think) called Fruitland in Iowa;

http://www.uphs.org/trainsymbols.htm]

BNSF lists a Fruitland street in Kennewick on thier schedule;

http://www.bnsf.com/ttc/Timetable/pdfs/Northwest_No_3.pdf