[Answerland] A Fond Farewell- Jennifer Cox- Answerland Coordinator

COX Jennifer * SLO Jennifer.COX at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Dec 22 08:51:04 PST 2023

Good Morning
It’s with mixed feelings that I’m emailing you today to announce my departure from the Virtual Reference Coordinator position with Answerland at the State Library of Oregon(SLO). As of December 31st, I’ll begin in a new position as Dean of Library and Learning Resources at Chemeketa Community College. It’s been an amazing, nearly, 3 years at the State Library of Oregon. The mission of Answerland,  seeing innerworkings and widespread impact working of this program; linked with the work of my colleagues at SLO have refreshed my love and belief in the work we do as library staff. My departure, in no way indicates a lack of belief in the program nor a dislike for the work.  Don’t think that I will be walking away from this totally😉… I will continue to champion cooperative reference work, our partnerships across library type and the benefits we all receive from the collective effort that goes into running Answerland. Rather, my work will continue by working to bring Oregon Community College Libraries and other academic libraries into Answerland over the next couple of years in new leadership role.  Answerland value is underplayed in an era of staff burnout. It benefits small and large library staffing models and reaches many patrons across the state; especially those in rural and under-resourced areas and districts.  Those that work in public facing service know that boost that you get when you receive a heartfelt ‘thank you’ or a patron who marvels at your magician-like skills to produce an elusive article or book. I, see, firsthand the dedication and valuable support provided in the easy, mundane or ridiculously complex questions answered each day on LibAnswers.
One of the most rewarding aspects of this job that I will surely miss, is working with our Answerland volunteers. They are often current 2nd year grad students, recent grads or someone looking to retool their professional skillset. If you want an instant refill on your professional enthusiasm consider becoming a mentor. We transitioned to a cohort, community of practice model for training. Trainings will run just twice per year.  Mentor responsibilities are just to provide feedback on transcripts as well as moral support and confidence building. Please consider volunteering for a year (2 trainings) or rotating to mentor once per year. It really helps out the staffing of our fringe cooperative hours in the evenings and weekends. I have, truly, appreciated the dedication of the our mentors, mentees and Answerland quality team who make the Answerland service model thrive.  I know… it’s a shameless plug; how could I miss this opportunity to sing the praises and show my appreciation for how their work makes not only my day better but those of our patrons and library staff (who benefit from them staffing outside your hours of operation).
My work has been further enriched by the community building across the State and continent. Through discussion of tough topics post-pandemic in the Answerland Advisory Committee, I’ve gotten to know the pain points in Oregon libraries and been enlightened by various viewpoints shared in those meetings.  On the Staff Training Round Table, Oregon Reference Summit and the North American Virtual Reference Online Conference, I was energized observing the evolution of our profession. I wonder at the selfless, dogged effort of all those who contribute making high-quality professional development available to our colleagues.
Interim Plan for Operations
I’m sure you are wondering who will be your contact for technical issues with Springshare, training documentation or the listservs when I’m gone.  Tamara Ottum, my Answerland predecessor has generously stepped up as the interim coordinator while a recruitment to fill my position is completed. Questions about the Answerland website, LibAnswers, LibGuides, Training materials, listservs can all be directed to Tamara, tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov>
Questions regarding our volunteers, or the mentor/mentee program can be directed to Tamara Ottum, tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov>  and/or Joel Henderson,  Volunteer and Donor Coordinator, joel.henderson at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:joel.henderson at slo.oregon.gov>
Plans for Coordinator Recruitment
Starting in January, my supervisor Buzzy Nielsen will be posting the position. We have spent some time updating the job description over the past few weeks. A search committee has been identified for the recruitment.  SLO is hoping to have this completed and a new coordinator in place as soon as possible. All questions regarding the Answerland Coordinator position and the search should be directed to Buzzy Nielsen, Program Manager of  Library Support and Development, buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:buzzy.nielsen at slo.oregon.gov>
Alright that’s enough… I’ve put off sending this message as it’s been hard to let go.  I have appreciated working with all of you on issues related to personal access, technical issues as well as finding ways to have this cooperative work better to meet the needs of your institution and staffing models. I will miss you all but please do not be a stranger. Please say hi at Oregon Library Association conferences and you can always find me virtually at jennifer.cox at chemeketa.edu<mailto:jennifer.cox at chemeketa.edu>
Most sincerely,
Jennifer Cox, MLIS (she/her)
Virtual Reference Coordinator, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
jennifer.cox at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:jennifer.cox at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-600-4992
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA34A6.090096E0]