[Iscn-members] Single-use plastic umbrella bags

WORTMAN David * DAS David.WORTMAN at oregon.gov
Mon Jan 6 13:33:11 PST 2020

All,

In light of the new single-use plastic bag ban in retail establishments in Oregon, I had an individual ask me why state government was offering single-use plastic bags for wet umbrellas in the entryways of some of our buildings (see attached - this one is from the State Capitol). DAS does not offer these, but some individual buildings or agencies are offering them.

This plastic film material is recyclable. As such, one option could be to offer a repository next to the bad stands for users to recycle the bag - we could explore collection of these and transport to recycling.

Alternatively, if you are a facility manager or sustainability coordinator, now might be a good time to re-evaluate your need for these bags in your building or agency, and the optics of offering single-use plastics for the public and other visitors. Not using in the first place is strongly preferable to recycling.

The new DAS Statewide Resource Conservation Policy that will be published shortly discourages use of single-use plastics.

If there is interest, DAS Sustainability can explore recycling options, and/or other means of dealing with the wet umbrella issue. Just let us know.

Thanks much,

Dave

Dave Wortman, LEED AP BD+C, ISSP-SA
Statewide Sustainability Officer
Department of Administrative Services | State of Oregon
1225 Ferry St. SE, U100 | Salem, OR 97301-4281
Mobile: 971-304-8733
Subscribe to the Oregon sustainability newsletter<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/ORDAS/subscriber/topics?qsp=ORDAS_3,>
Visit the DAS Sustainability web site<http://www.oregon.gov/das/Facilities/Pages/Sustainability.aspx>

P please print this email only if there is truly a need