[Iscn-members] Proper packaging of e-waste for recycling

WORTMAN David * DAS David.WORTMAN at das.oregon.gov
Mon Oct 16 10:25:02 PDT 2023

All,

For those of us who use Garten Services for handling our agency e-waste (which is most of us in the Eugene-Salem-Portland areas), please see the attached fact sheet and "Dos and Don'ts" on handling, packing and shipping e-waste. As you may recall, Garten recently shared with us that they are seeing large volumes of equipment coming in from our state agencies too damaged to salvage, which is very costly to both them and the environment.

Please:

  1.  Review and familiarize yourself with these guidelines
  2.  Include in your agency newsletters or other appropriate communications
  3.  Share with your IT staff and anyone else who handles and packages e-waste for recycling/shipping

Garten is going to give us feedback on specific shipments from specific agencies that are coming in packed poorly and overly damaged.

We will also post these on the Office of Sustainability web site.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Dave

[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA001A.08DF69E0]

Dave Wortman, LEED-AP BD+C, ISSP-SA
Statewide Sustainability Officer
DAS Office of Sustainability<https://www.oregon.gov/das/pages/office-of-sustainability.aspx>
(971) 304-8733
Pronouns: he/him/his

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published