[kids-lib] New books at the State Library

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Aug 25 16:30:29 PDT 2008

The following new titles are available to interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or fax your request to the State Library document delivery department at 503-588-7119 with your full name, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number.

Fasick, A.M. & Holt, L.E. ( 2008).  Managing children's services in the public library (3rd ed.).  Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

Everything children's librarians need to know about running a department in the public library! Section I deals with planning services in the context of a community. Section II covers maintaining a productive work environment, recruiting and retaining staff, communicating with colleagues, annual reports, budgeting and fundraising, planning facilities, and keeping the department safe and secure. Section III focuses on collection development, electronic resources, intellectual freedom, and reaching out to the community through programs and special events, working with other youth service organizations, and marketing children's services. Section IV suggests ways in which children's librarians can participate in the larger professional community of librarians. (Book Description)

Miller, D.P. (2008).  Crash course in teen services.  Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

Drawing on her experience as a librarian in both schools and public libraries, Miller provides sound guidance....[P]rovides quick and useful information to new librarians and staff working with teens, and it is especially helpful to those working in smaller public libraries, where resources and funding is often limited. The book may also be useful for providing an administrator with a quick overview of the requirements and benefits of a teen program. The down-to-earth manner and sensible approach make this book widely accessible. (VOYA June 2008)

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings.

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator
Library Development