[kids-lib] Fwd: New Children's Book Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand

BJ quinlan BJQUINLAN at cityofsalem.net
Fri Feb 20 11:56:53 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm forwarding this message to you because this is a topic not
frequently covered in picture books.  However, please note that I
haven't seen the book and am not making a personal recommendation!
BJ Quinlan
OLA CSD Chair

My name is Artie Knapp and I am a Children’s Author in Cincinnati,
Ohio. My new book, Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand has just been released.

Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand is about a little squirrel who stutters
and how his disability affects his life and those around him.

Here’s a story about my book in the St. Petersburg Times.
http://www.tampabay.com/features/books/article969896.ece

Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand is published by the Division of Speech
Pathology at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, which is the
largest pediatric speech pathology program in the United States.
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/svc/alpha/s/speech/choose/default.htm

Barbara L. Gibson did the illustrations for the book, and you might be
familiar with Barbara’s work in Audrey Penn’s Kissing Hand sequels.

Here’s a direct link to the book on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Stuttering-Takes-Stand-Artie-Knapp/dp/0982167709/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235057044&sr=8-1

Please note that Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand is available through
Ingram at a 25% discount to libraries and schools.

Here are the 10 & 13 Digit ISBN numbers for the book:

ISBN-10: 0982167709
ISBN-13: 978-0982167700

The reviews for my book are listed below.

Both myself, and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, sincerely appreciate
your consideration for carrying Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand.

Artie Knapp
www.artieknapp.com

REVIEWS:

Mr. Knapp writes a wonderful tale of friendship, building self-esteem
and the understanding of others with disabilities. This children's book
is about a squirrel who stutters and how his disability affects his life
and those around him.  Stuttering Stan learns that friendship,
understanding and self-respect are important for everyone.  This book
should be read by all children and adults alike to reaffirm those
important life lessons that Stan's story brings to the forefront.
Tammy Flores, Executive Director
The National Stuttering Association
www.nsastutter.org

As one who stuttered and was teased throughout childhood, I read this
elegantly illustrated story with great interest and anticipation. From
the beginning, I identified with Stanley, the stuttering squirrel, as he
encountered cruelty because of his speech. Knapp deftly shows
Stanley’s ambivalence and hurt. The power of the tale, however,
lies in Knapp’s bringing all the friends together during a scene of
self-discovery, kindness, and forgiveness. This story will give courage
to children who stutter, and it will help those who do not stutter
become more understanding and empathetic.
Bill Maxwell, Editorial Writer/Columnist
St. Petersburg (Florida) Times

Children who stutter often bear the emotional burden of being targets
for undeserved teasing and bullying. Stuttering Stan is such a gift to
those children as well as to any child who is teased. It gives them an
empowered model for handling those bullies! Thank you for this book, Mr.
Knapp.
Catherine S. Montgomery, Executive Director
American Institute for Stuttering
www.stutteringtreatment.org

Mr. Knapp has written a touching story about friendships, respect,
courage and compassion.  A must read for every child, especially those
who stutter.  This exquisitely illustrated story shows how being a
friend can make others feel good about themselves. Every child is
special in their own way and like many of Artie Knapp’s other stories,
this humorous tale shows that you can do anything if you believe in
yourself.
Kristin Garrison, Newspapers in Education Manager
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Artie Knapp's knack for identifying the things that worry children
shines in Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand. His characters, displayed in
especially lovely illustrations, and their interactions, are those young
children will recognize from their experiences on playgrounds and in
their classrooms. Embedded in this appealing story are important
messages about human kindness and acceptance of challenges. This is a
book I will be recommending to educators everywhere.
Kathleen Carpenter, Editor, Teachers.Net Gazette
www.teachers.net/gazette

Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand was reviewed in the February issue of
Kidsville News. Kidsville News is The Nations Fun Family Newspaper, with
a monthly circulation of 1.4 million.
http://www.kidsvillenews.com/articles/current/parentown/bookshelf.aspx