[kids-lib] summer reading copyright and other issues

THOMPSON Barbara bthompson at ci.springfield.or.us
Thu May 27 16:36:13 PDT 2010

Since the issue of copyright restrictions on the CSLP graphics was raised, I have been mulling over how to proceed. I do not see a way we will be able to create the Summer Reading hand-outs we need and comply with the copyright requirements. Please add me to the growing list of Oregon librarians who feel the copyright restrictions create an untenable situation for libraries. Libraries do not all have the same summer reading programs,  which means some of Highsmith's products, such as reading logs and certificates, will not work for us. I am grateful to CSLP for the great graphics which we would not otherwise have, and am pleased to have the opportunity to buy ready-made incentive items from Highsmith, but it is more important that we have the freedom to design our own programs.

Thank you so much, Katie and Paige, for representing our collective view on this.

Barbara Thompson
Youth and Adult Services Manager
Springfield Public Library
wheremindsgrow.org