[kids-lib] Stumper: detective kids

Will Worthey WillW at wccls.org
Thu Oct 4 08:49:02 PDT 2012

Also there was the earlier Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, named after the title of the first book in the series. These twelve books involve adventures by groups of children almost during the school holidays and were set in England and Scotland in the 1920's. In this earlier series the girls were oft pitted against the boys in boating adventures, the series was less mystery solving and more watery adventuring. As with the Enid Blyton books much ginger beer and lemonade "grog" was consumed.
If the patron remembers boating then this is probably the ticket.

These and the Enid Blyton books were read wildly around the British Commonwealth including down under and Canada. I read then as a child in Scotland.

Will Worthey
Youth Services Librarian
Garden Home Community Library