[kids-lib] History of School Library Staffing in Oregon: 1980 to 2011

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Apr 24 12:31:14 PDT 2013

Please pardon the cross posting.

The State Librarian has tracked the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) licensed school librarians employed in Oregon public schools since the 1980-81 school year. Recently we also started tracking the number of FTE school library support staff. For figures and a chart related to the 31-year span, see the attached PDF. Here is brief snapshot:

School Year

FTE Library Support Staff

FTE Licensed Librarians

Percent Change from 1980 to 2011

No. of Students Per Licensed Librarian

Percent Change from 1980 to 2011

1980-81

n/a

818

n/a

547

n/a

2010-11

682

308

n/a

1,822

n/a

2011-12

697

203

-75%

2,763

+405%

The information comes from the Oregon Department of Education. As of the last few years, some of the figures were pulled from the Oregon Statewide Annual Report Card<http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=1821>. Note that the staffing chart on PDF page 15 of the 2011-12 report card<http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/annreportcard/rptcard2012.pdf> (and for some previous years) combines figures for school library licensed and support staff. When we pointed out that this could be confusing since there is a separate row for support staff, ODE added a note to the bottom of the chart. We seek clarification from ODE staff about the separate figures for licensed versus support staff.

Questions? Please ask.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant
Oregon State Library
250 Winter Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
503.378.5011
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>

OSLIS || www.oslis.org
Learn to research. Research to learn.(c)

[SLM20132border]