[kids-lib] CSD Mock Caldecott Results

Rick Samuelson ricks at wccls.org
Mon Jan 7 07:47:04 PST 2013

Hi gang,

Approximately 35 librarians, educators and children's book enthusiasts from all over Oregon (and a handful of folks from Washington) met on Saturday January 5th to participate in the annual Oregon Library Association's Children's Services Division<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129> Mock Caldecott Workshop.

The event included an overview of the ALA Caldecott Committee experience from 2009 Caldecott<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/caldecotthonors/2009caldecottmedalhonors> Chair Nell Colburn and a hands-on art workshop from Paige Bentley-Flannery of the Deschutes Public Library<http://www.deschuteslibrary.org/celebrate75/> (we played with gouache, acrylic paint, water colors, cut paper, water soluble crayons, color pencils and toothpaste!).

After meeting in groups to discuss a selection of picture books from 2012, everybody converged and voted on the 2013 CSD Mock Caldecott Award!

Mock Caldecott Medal:
One Cool Friend<http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11737306-one-cool-friend> by Toni Buzzeo (illus. by David Small). Dial Books for Young Readers, 2012.

Honor Book:
More<http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16386801-more> by I. C. Springman (illus. by Brian Lies). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012.

Now if we can just contain ourselves and wait out the next 3 weeks....

(I apologize for any cross-posting)

Best wishes,

Rick Samuelson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
111 NE Lincoln, MS 58A
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 648-9785 5#
ricks at wccls.org

"The clever men at Oxford
Know all that there is to be knowed.
But they none of them know one half as much
As intelligent Mr Toad!"
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows