[kids-lib] CSLP 2017 slogans, 2018 theme, and more

Danielle Jones jones.danielle.jones at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 07:39:23 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

It has been an exciting conference here in Newport, Rhode Island. For
starters the theme of construction/building for 2017 has produced one
slogan “to rule them all”....”Build a Better World”. It is something can
encompass many things from construction/architecture, makerspace,
community, global awareness, volunteerism to so much more. Art for this
will hopefully encompass the variety of concepts that this theme evokes.
People weren’t ready to commit to having just one slogan for all age groups
for the future, but they are definitely open to doing it that way when it
works.

The 2018 theme will be centered on Music!

If you haven’t had a chance yet, please check out the CSLP White Paper
<http://www.cslpreads.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CSLP-Summer-Reading-White-Paper-2015.pdf>
that shows the impact of summer reading.

The PSA is up and downloadable (you will need to be logged into the website
to download, instructions are here
<http://www.cslpreads.org/programs/childrens-program/psa/>).

The Oregon teen video challenge winner from Hood River was huge hit at the
conference, and got some of the loudest applause.
https://youtu.be/nGr5x3m784k

CSLP is in the process of hiring an executive chair. This person will be
the face of CSLP, oversee contract work, work with partners, and help to
create revenue.

While at the conference, we try hard to represent your feedback from the
survey. I am just going to plug here how important that survey is, because
when it comes to voting and advocating for things, we are constantly
referring back to your comments and suggestions.

Of the artist you suggested, three made it to the final list that we were
able to vote on. These three were also the top three that will now be
pursued. These are Tom Lichtenheld, David Macaulay, and Chris Van Dusen.

Some of you commented to please get tattoos that work on all skin colors.
This year they took that feedback, and made tattoos with brighter colors,
and will continue to do so.

Other feedback from you that there was a lot of discussion of about clipart
that will work across all ages. Hopefully they will take this to heart.
There was a little more for this year’s “Every Hero Has a Story,” and
hopefully that will be a trend to build and continue.

Any questions, please feel free to email me:

jones.danielle.jones at gmail.com

daniellej at multco.us

Best,

Danielle

--
Danielle Jones
ALSC's 2016-2017 Notable Children's Book Committee Member
work email daniellej at multco.us