[kids-lib] CSD's Mock Caldecott Workshop on Jan. 12th!

Taylor Worley taylorlgkw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 17:24:18 PST 2018

Please excuse cross-posting.

*You are cordially invited to join the Children's Services Division of the
Oregon Library Association at its 2019 Mock Caldecott Award. Your input and
enthusiasm is desired and welcome at this, the most coveted of Mock Awards.
Debates will be had, caffeine will be drunk, snacks will be snacked, and
prizes will be won. It won't be the same without you. Register today!*

Our workshop in Springfield, Oregon on Saturday, January 12th is going to
be informative and lots of fun. We have a panel of amazing Oregon
librarians who have served on the Caldecott (the *real *one!), a short
session presented by yours truly on illustration and talking about art, and
loads of time for debating which of our chosen few will rise to the top as
Oregon's 2019 Mock Caldecott Winner.

Register here
<http://olaweb.org/csd-mock-caldecott-2019-workshop-registration> and read
these things before you come:

Caldecott about
<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/aboutcaldecott/aboutcaldecott>,
terms and criterea
<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/caldecottterms/caldecottterms>,
and the CCBC Book Discussion Guidelines
<https://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/books/discguide.asp>. These are all very
short articles.

And the fun part - the books!

   - *A Stone for Sascha* by Aaron Becker
   - *Dreamers* by Yuyi Morales
   - *Heartbeat* by Evan Turk
   - *Julián Is a Mermaid *by Jessica Love
   - *Drawn Together*  by Minh Le, illustrated by Dan Santat
   - *Hello Lighthouse *by Sophie Blackall
   - *The Prince & The Dressmaker* by Jen Wang
   - *Otis & Will Discover the Deep* by Barb Rosenstock, illustrated by
   Katherine Roy
   - *Blue* by Lauren Vaccaro Seeger
   - *Stop That Yawn! *by Caron Lewis, illustrated by LeUyen Pham
   - *A Big Mooncake for Little Star* by Grace Lin

If you cannot read a title(s) before the workshop, we will have copies
available for review and to use during small group discussion.
Historically, a few attendees have brought additional copies of the titles
for personal reference. This is welcome, but in no way required.

Let me know what questions you have, and we'll see you very soon.

*Taylor Worley                                                 *Youth
Services Librarian
CSD Mock Workshops Chair, 2018
taylorlgkw at gmail.com
tworley at springfield-or.gov
csdmocks at ola
*"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -A. A. Milne*