[kids-lib] What's Greta Been Up To? May 2018

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Fri Jun 1 10:22:07 PDT 2018

Hello library staff serving kids and teens,

I wanted to share a little bit of what I've been working on this month at the State Library. If you have questions, ideas, or suggestions, please let me know!

A few highlights:

*         Meeting with team members from Oregon Dept. of Education's Early Learning Division<https://oregonearlylearning.com/> & Early Learning Hubs<https://oregonearlylearning.com/administration/early-learning-hubs/> so we each understand better the work libraries are doing and the work early learning hubs do. Did you know libraries are listed as key partners in the Early Learning Hubs' goals? I'd love to hear how you may be partnering with your hub!

*         Meeting with Luke Kralik from the Collaborative Summer Library Program<https://www.cslpreads.org/> to learn more about how we can better support Oregon librarians as you implement summer reading.

*         Working with Ross Fuqoa here at the State Library to launch a grant supporting kid and teen library collections<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/grantmainalt.aspx> throughout Oregon.

*         Hosting a field trip with State Library colleagues in which 90 5th graders shared their favorite new reads!

Libraries I visited this month:

*         Tillamook County Library, Tillamook (OYAN Meeting)

*         Springfield Public Library, Springfield (Ready to Read Award Presentation at their City Council Meeting)

*         Monmouth Public Library, Monmouth (Visiting a drop-in play program for the storytime crowd)

Something I'm learning:

Partnerships are where it's at!  At my Monmouth visit, Carrie Kasperick shared some awesome partnerships she has been building, from high school athletes working on summer reading programs to early learning-focused groups. If you are in a stand-alone library wondering about how you might be a better partner and/or what building partnerships could look like, Carrie might be a good person for you to chat with! You can e-mail her at: ckasperick at ci.monmouth.or.us<mailto:ckasperick at ci.monmouth.or.us>

Happy first day of June and I wish you all the best as you head into summer reading.

Sincerely,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant