[kids-lib] YouthLine info and what 5 more libraries are doing to support teen mental health

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Thu Mar 18 09:45:20 PDT 2021

I just posted what 5 more libraries are doing to support teen mental health on the OYAN blog<https://oyanpeeps.wordpress.com/>. Ian at Beaverton Library reminded me about YouthLine because he had someone from YouthLine give a presentation at a Teen Library Council meeting. Many of you know about YouthLine, but some of you may not have heard about it yet and it’s a very important resource!

YouthLine<https://oregonyouthline.org/> 877-968-8491

“We are teens helping teens. During the COVID19 pandemic, our teens are still here to support you from 4-10 PM PST!”

YouthLine is a 24/7 crisis line for teens. It’s a “non-profit dedicated to preventing substance abuse and suicide.” Teen volunteers answer the phone calls, texts, and chats from 4-10 PM daily and adults answer the phone at other times. “YouthLine also operates a peer-supported outreach program<http://oregonyouthline.org/outreach/> to destigmatize mental health challenges, increase awareness for mental health and wellness, and encourage youth to reach out for help. YouthLine’s helpline and outreach programs are supported by our youth development program<http://oregonyouthline.org/volunteer/>, which builds skills and confidence around mental health and wellness.”