[kids-lib] Looking for any library staff offering computational thinking programs for youth

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Oct 18 16:48:19 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

Passing along this opportunity with Mega Subramaniam at the University of Maryland’s iSchool. See below for details.

Best,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[Title: State Library of Oregon]

The University of Maryland iSchool's IMProving Assessment of Computational Thinking in Libraries<https://impact.ischool.umd.edu/> (IMPACT Libraries) research team is looking for public library staff to help us evaluate a series of assessment tools developed to measure the success of Computational Thinking (CT) programs for youth ages 11-18.  Participating libraries will use assessment tools that we have developed to assess their youth CT programs. By CT programs, we mean activities that engage youth with concepts and practices related to computer science and solving problems with technology. This can include coding clubs, robotics (e.g. Sphero) or Making (e.g. 3-D printing) activities, game design or media creation workshops, or unplugged activities that have youth build algorithms, identify or create patterns, or systematically solve a problem. Programs can be in person, virtual, or hybrid. Programs can be recurring or offered one-time only.

Between October 2021 and February 2022, selected library staff will be asked to: participate in online interviews (via Zoom) before and after conducting their CT programming, run their planned CT program, use the assessment tools to evaluate their program, and share the outcomes of applying the assessments with the research team.

The time commitment for the entire project will not exceed four hours. Each participating library will be provided $1000 to cover costs associated with using the assessment tools and meeting with the research team. This incentive will be paid in two equal payments. The first payment will be made after the completion of the pre-program interview. The second payment will be made after the final interview with the research team.

If you are interested in participating and will be offering a CT program for youth ages 11-18 between October 2021 and February 2022, please complete this application survey<https://forms.gle/PtonZkMb5ePgZnuu9>. We plan to work with 15 libraries across the United States that serve diverse communities. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis until all the 15 libraries are selected.

If you have any questions, please send an email to impact at umd.edu<mailto:impact at umd.edu>

If you are interested in learning more about this project, you can find more information at https://impact.ischool.umd.edu<https://impact.ischool.umd.edu/>

Mega Subramaniam, Ph.D.
Professor & Associate Dean for Faculty
(she/her/hers)
University of Maryland | College of Information Studies (iSchool)
4161 Fieldhouse Drive (Patuxent Building) | Room 2109E | College Park, MD 20742
http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~mmsubram/ | mmsubram at umd.edu<mailto:mmsubram at umd.edu> | @mmsubram<https://twitter.com/mmsubram>