[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacoun] Letter to President Obama]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 8 07:30:21 PDT 2009

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacoun] Letter to President Obama
Date: 	Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:48:34 -0400
From: 	Rettig, Jim <jrettig at richmond.edu>
To: 	ALA Council list (alacoun at ala.org) <alacoun at ala.org>

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to update you on our follow-up to the Membership Town Hall
meeting at our Midwinter Meeting in Denver. At that meeting 260 members
contributed to a lively discussion of "What the new President and
administration need to know about libraries."

On March 18^th , we sent the attached letter to the President,
summarizing the many excellent points made by members at the Town Hall
Meeting.

I want to personally express my appreciation to those members who took
the time to attend, and for their many thoughtful comments. It was a
particularly stimulating discussion. I would also like to thank the
Membership Meeting Committee and the Executive Board for their
initiative in making the meeting happen.

Last, I would also like to encourage all members, whether or not you
were able to join us at that meeting, to  get involved in our efforts to
secure increased federal support for libraries. Just this last year, we
were able to get the EPA libraries reopened, to get legislation
introduced that would require school librarians in all schools, and to
secure support for increased funding for the Library Services and
Technology Act. Our voice is being heard, and your individual efforts do
make a difference.

 To join us in our efforts to increase federal support for libraries,
visit http://capwiz.com/ala/home/..

Sincerely,

Jim Rettig

ALA President

and...
University Librarian
Boatwright Memorial Library
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA  23173
Voice:  804/289-8456
FAX:  804/289-8757
jrettig at richmond.edu <mailto:jrettig at richmond.edu>

  the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, July 9-15, 2009.  Join me there!

--
Portland State University logo

Suzanne L. Sager
Library East, Cataloging