[Libs-Or] Homeschooling services offered by OHEN

Stephanie Nystrom steph at nystromengineering.com
Fri Aug 7 13:25:07 PDT 2009

Do you have patrons asking to learn more about homeschooling?

I am from the Oregon Home Education Network (OHEN), the state's first
and largest, inclusive, nonprofit, volunteer-run organization, dedicated
to the support of all of Oregon’s homeschooling families.

I first contacted members of this list last September to let you know
about the services that we offer. The response was gratifying and
resulted in Homeschooling 101 sessions in Baker City, La Grande,
Pendleton, Hermiston, Gresham, Milwaukie, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Forest
Grove, Sherwood, Eagle Point, Medford and Ashland. Additionally, we sent
Homeschool Resource Guides to Salem, Silverton, Tigard, Medford,
Springield, Portland, North Bend and Hillsboro.

We learned many things traveling around our great state, one of which is
that, in addition to people just starting out, many experienced
homeschoolers also attend the Homeschooling 101 sessions looking to find
resources and connect with other local homeschoolers. In response, we
have renamed the program "Homeschooling in Oregon."

Here is an updated list of the services that we offer:

    * Homeschooling in Oregon, where a panel of 2-3 experience
      homeschoolers present a handout of local information on
      homeschooling and answer questions. The presentation takes about
      1.5 hours, and consists of introductions, a general overview of
      homeschooling in Oregon, and a lengthy question and answer period.
      The presentation is free. We have heard from people in Corvallis,
      Lincoln City/Newport, McMinnville, and Salem expressing interest
      in this program. Though we'd like to respond to these requests, we
      are happy to present the program anywhere in Oregon.

    * OHEN Homeschool Resource Guide for $10 that includes:

    1. General Information on Homeschooling (4 pages)
    2. Legal Information on Homeschooling in Oregon (6 pages)
    3. Homeschool Resources (includes websites, books and magazines) (5
    pages)
    4. Statewide Homeschool Groups (2 pages)
    5. Local Homeschool Groups (10 pages)
    6. Alternative Education (includes charter schools, correspondence
    courses, and distance learning) (2-4 pages)
    7. Special Needs Resources (includes support groups and information
    on Privately Developed Plans (PDPs)) (5 pages)
    8. Approved List of Homeschool Testers (20 pages)

    The OHEN Homeschool Resource Guide comes in a 3-ring binder so that
    it is easy to update. If you purchase a binder or binders, you can
    subscribe to updates for free.

    * E-mail and phone helplines to answer all of your homeschooling
      questions:

      Phone: 503-321-5166 (voice mail)

      E-mail: info at ohen.org <mailto:info at ohen.com>

    * A website full of up-to-date homeschool resources and information:
      http://www.ohen.org/

Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you!
Stephanie Nystrom
OHEN Information Coordinator