[Libs-Or] Fwd: [fllan] FW: [alacro-l] CPSIA - Lead in Books

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 13:05:48 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kristin K. Murphy <kmurphy at alawash.org>
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM
Subject: [fllan] FW: [alacro-l] CPSIA - Lead in Books
To: fllan at ala.org

 FYI:

*CPSC Issues Rule Regarding Lead Standards; More Guidance To Come for
Libraries*

As the American Library Association (ALA) has emphasized since first
enactment of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), concern
for children’s safety is our first priority in providing materials to young
patrons.  On August 26, 2009, the CPSC’s final rule on children’s products
containing lead was released.  *In the rule, CPSC confirmed that libraries
have no independent obligation to test library books for lead under the law.
*  CPSC also announced its intention to release a Statement of Policy
specifically providing guidance for libraries with regard to the treatment
of older children’s books that could potentially contain lead.  According to
our conversations with CPSC officials, that Statement of Policy should be
released within the next several weeks.

While we await the Statement of Policy, ALA recommends that libraries take
the following actions.  If a library is aware that any children’s book does
indeed contain lead above the legal limits or otherwise presents a danger to
children, it should remove it from public access, for instance by
moving itto the non-circulating collection.  We would also ask that if
libraries do
learn of any books containing lead to please let the ALA – Washington Office
know so that we might  share that information with other libraries.  When
the Statement of Policy is released, we will promptly notify our members.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jessica McGilvray,
Assistant Director of the ALA Office of Government Relations at
jmcgilvray at alwash.org or 1-800-941-8478.

Jessica McGilvray

Assistant Director

American Library Association

Washington Office - Office of Government Relations

1615 New Hampshire Ave., N.W., 1st Floor

Washington, D.C. 20009-2520

phone: 202-628-8410

fax: 202-628-8419

--