[Libs-Or] Oregon Historical Society Research Library closure

CARMIN Jim jimc at multcolib.org
Fri Feb 27 10:05:13 PST 2009

There's a piece in today's Oregonian about the impending sudden closure
of the research library at the Oregon Historical Society.

Anyone concerned about the future of this critically important library
for the study and understanding of Oregon history should read this and
actively voice your opinion as I have as a private citizen to
legislators and to the OHS director and librarian.

I think its closure will produce a hole in our understanding of what
Oregon has been, what its problems were and how solutions were found to
solve those problems.  Without this research library, it will not be
just students, scholars and citizens who visit the collections who will
lose; the entire state will suffer from its closure as access to much of
our heritage, our pitfalls and our triumphs will be curtailed.
"Oregon Historical Society slashes staff" by D.K. Row
Online here:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/visualarts/2009/02/oregon_historical_society_
slas.html

More info at:
http://ohsu-hca.blogspot.com/2009/02/oregon-historical-society-library.h
tml

Jim Carmin
John Wilson Special Collections Librarian
Multnomah County Library
801 SW 10th Avenue
Portland, OR 97205
jimc at multcolib.org