[Libs-Or] Fwd: [District Dispatch] ALA files comments to FCC on development of national broadband plan

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:52:56 PDT 2009

ALA files comments to FCC on development of national broadband plan
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3003> June 08th, 2009
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3003

Today ALA filed
comments<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/alanoi6-8.pdf>before
the FCC in response to a Notice of Inquiry on the development of a
national broadband plan (as required by the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009). In our comments, we argue that America’s
libraries are uniquely situated to deliver on the Commission’s goals for the
plan.

Libraries are the premier public computing centers in America’s communities,
providing access to online education, job searching and skills training,
government services and more. Further,  libraries serve as information hubs
for their communities, and in areas where a compelling business case for
broadband deployment is difficult to make, libraries serve as “community
anchor institutions,” stimulating development that helps entire communities.
The key role of libraries should be recognized and supported in the national
broadband plan.

However, libraries face barriers to truly fulfilling their promise as key
community broadband institutions. First, libraries are facing a capacity
crisis. We urge the commission to support a “fiber to the library” program
to help libraries get the future-proof connectivity they need. Second,
libraries face decreasing budgets, so programs like the federal E-rate are
more important than ever. The Commission should reopen the question of how
best to streamline and simplify the E-rate program.

--
Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District
Work email:  diedre at beachbooks.org