[Libs-Or] [Fwd: [alacro-l] ALA Files Comments to FCC on National Broadband Plan]

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 9 09:32:18 PDT 2009

FYI

Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Chapter Councilor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[alacro-l] ALA Files Comments to FCC on National Broadband Plan
Date: 	Tue, 9 Jun 2009 12:25:37 -0400
From: 	Michael Dowling <mdowling at ala.org>
To: 	ALACRO-L <alacro-l at ala.org>

Yesterday ALA filed comments
<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/alanoi6-8.pdf>
before the FCC in response to a Notice of Inquiry on the development of
a national broadband plan (as required by the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009). In our comments, we argue that America's
libraries are uniquely situated to deliver on the Commission's goals for
the plan.

Libraries are the premier public computing centers in America's
communities, providing access to online education, job searching and
skills training, government services and more. Further,  libraries serve
as information hubs for their communities, and in areas where a
compelling business case for broadband deployment is difficult to make,
libraries serve as "community anchor institutions," stimulating
development that helps entire communities. The key role of libraries
should be recognized and supported in the national broadband plan.

However, libraries face barriers to truly fulfilling their promise as
key community broadband institutions. First, libraries are facing a
capacity crisis. We urge the commission to support a "fiber to the
library" program to help libraries get the future-proof connectivity
they need. Second, libraries face decreasing budgets, so programs like
the federal E-rate are more important than ever. The Commission should
reopen the question of how best to streamline and simplify the E-rate
program.

View article... <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=3003>

(From District Dispatch)

--