[Libs-Or] Multnomah County Library Director to Retire May 1

HUMMEL Penny pennyh at multcolib.org
Wed Mar 11 10:59:14 PDT 2009

March 11, 2009

For immediate release

Contact:        Penny Hummel, Marketing & Communications, 503.988.5498,
pennyh at multcolib.org

Multnomah County Library Director to Retire May 1

PORTLAND, OR -Director of Libraries Molly Raphael has announced that she
will be retiring from her position as of May 1.  "Molly has done a
terrific job and we'll miss her," said Multnomah County Chair Ted
Wheeler, who also lauded Raphael for her many accomplishments during her
five year tenure at the library's helm:

*Passage of the 2006 library levy with a "yes" vote of nearly 62%, the
highest total votes for any Multnomah County Library levy;

*Increasing diversity in library employment, collections and
programming;

*Opening all libraries 7 days a week;

*Expanding the library's literacy programs and services;

*Planning two new branch libraries, with anticipated openings in late
2009 or 2010;

*Working with The Library Foundation to bring millions of private
dollars to Multnomah County Library to enhance programs and services;

*Maintaining MCL's ranking as highest circulating library in the country
for four years, as well as its HAPLR standing as one of the U.S.'s top
three urban library systems;

*Developing new programs and opportunities for older adults through
collaboration with multiple community based-institutions.

"Serving as library director in Multnomah County is the most challenging
and rewarding work I have done in my nearly 40 years as a librarian,"
said Raphael, who is also currently serving as the president of the
Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA) of the American
Library Association.  A national search for Raphael's replacement is
currently underway.

###

Penny Hummel, MLIS
Marketing & Communications Manager