[Libs-Or] Free Webinar: Millennials in the Library

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Oct 30 11:57:02 PDT 2009

Webinar Title: Millennials in the Library
Speaker: Jennifer Kushell, with special guests Mandy McGee and Monica Harris
Cost: Free to Library Staff of Oregon Libraries
Date: November 13, 2009

The Millennial Generation, Generation Y, Echo Boomers, Digital Natives, and the Trophy Generation are all terms used to describe people born in the United States between the early 1980s and the late 1990s. Shaped by a heady mix of culture, politics, and technology, "Millennials" have had an unprecedented exposure to mass media, pop culture, instant communication, and cultural freedom woven together by a complex technological net.  Jennifer Kushell, President of the YSN.com (Your Success Network) and author of "Secrets of the Young and Successful," will explore the social impact Millennials will have on our culture and specifically on our libraries.  Having worked extensively with this powerhouse, global generation, Jennifer will answer the questions: Who are Millennials? How do they interact with information and technology? In what ways can our libraries better serve them as patrons, students, and staff?
Jennifer will be joined by Mandy McGee, Librarian and Manager of Adult and Teen Services, and Monica Harris, Teen Services Librarian, from the Oak Park Public Library.  Please join us for an exciting discussion on library adaptation to the changing face of our patrons.
This webcast is 90 minutes in length. Visit http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/index.html for additional information or contact BCR directly at info at bcr.org

Location:
View the training via webcast from your personal computer or a computer you can access easily. Or you may attend a group session at a location near you. Please review the host sites http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/sites/oregon/millennials.html to find a convenient location. (Check back later if no Oregon sites are listed initially)

How to Register:
Register online at http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/registration.html - registration is FREE.

Background Information:
This webcast is being made available free of charge to staff from Oregon libraries through a statewide membership to BCR (http://www.bcr.org), paid for by the Oregon State Library with LSTA funds.

An online archive of this presentation will be available for up to 30 days after the original broadcast date. Please visit http://bcr.org/training/partners/teleconferences/index.html for more information.

A DVD of this webcast should be available for you to check out from the State Library about one month after the date it was broadcast. DVDs of previous webcasts are available from State Library (http://catalog.willamette.edu/search~S2/X?college+of+dupage&SORT=DX&searchscope=2) through your library's establish interlibrary loan process. Learn more about these DVDs and other Library and Information Science professional resources at our blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/).

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528