[Libs-Or] Confidentiality and Email notification of reserves...another perspective

Kirby Jane S jane.s.kirby at state.or.us
Tue Jan 5 13:19:10 PST 2010

While I appreciate the privacy concerns regarding email notification of reserves, I think the greater risk to patron confidentiality is the open display of the actual reserved items.

At the public library that I use most frequently, "Reserved materials" are shelved on open bookshelves.  Patrons help themselves to their reserves. Although books are turned sideways, somewhat shielding their content, each bundle has the patron's name attached.

How do other libraries balance customer convenience, staff efficiency, and confidentiality? Thanks for your insights on this question.

Jane Kirby, MLS
Librarian
Oregon OSHA Resource Center
350 Winter St. NE