[Libs-Or] Confidentiality and Email notification of reserves...another perspective

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:45:49 PST 2010

This is one area that has been difficult for people in many public
libraries, how to maintain confidentiality yet free up some staff time when
dealing with holds and making it easy for patrons to get holds and use
self-check out systems.

This subject is frequently discussed on PUBLIB.  If you do a Google search
using this string, "holds publib site:lists.webjunction.org" , you will find
some of the discussion of these issues.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Kirby Jane S <jane.s.kirby at state.or.us>wrote:

> While I appreciate the privacy concerns regarding email notification of
> reserves, I think the greater risk to patron confidentiality is the open
> display of the actual reserved items.
>
> At the public library that I use most frequently, "Reserved materials" are
> shelved on open bookshelves.  Patrons help themselves to their reserves.
> Although books are turned sideways, somewhat shielding their content, each
> bundle has the patron's name attached.
>
> How do other libraries balance customer convenience, staff efficiency, and
> confidentiality? Thanks for your insights on this question.
>
> Jane Kirby, MLS
> Librarian
> Oregon OSHA Resource Center
> 350 Winter St. NE