[Libs-Or] FW: [alacoun] Request for comment or further info on the EBSCO exclusivity deal

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 00:19:41 PST 2010

I think that ALA will be addressing this issue.  In fact, I would be shocked
if it is not addressed.

Here is more from the discussion on the ALA Council list:

1.
Bernard Margolis to kfiels, Carol, ALA, Aaron
show details 1:58 PM (10 hours ago)

Councillor Dobbs,
       The EBSCO action is a sea-change! The ripple will impact every
library as exclusivity translates into exhorbitant costs for these exclusive
materials. There probably are restraint of trade and anti-trust issues
involved. An ALA complaint to the Federal Trade Commission or the Dept of
Justice is probably appropriate. I would think that PLA, AASL and ACRL might
be lead divisions in voicing concerns and that the Executive Board could
have ALA Counsel send a letter to both EBSCO and Time-LIFE raising concerns
about the issue.
         Bernie Margolis

2.  Michael Golrick to Bernard, ALA, Aaron, kfiels, Carol
show details 2:06 PM (10 hours ago)

I agree with the esteemed Councilor Margolis with one exception, I think
that the staff of the ALA Washington Office, both from OGR and OITP, should
offer input and advice. OGR will need to speak to the legislative and
executive branches about the implicit restraint of trade, and the OITP will
need to examine and report how this compares with other activity in the
provision of electronic access to journals other than through publishers.
I am tempted to make the analogy, what if the same group of publishers would
only do wholesale/jobbing through EBSCO and not allow Faxon and other
periodical wholesalers to place orders on behalf of any subscribers? That
would raise a huge hue and cry. One might even carry the analogy further
into book publishing.
I will note that some publishers sign exclusive agreements to record
specific titles, but I am certain that is protected under copyright and
therefore not an appropriate analogy.
Michael
Michael Golrick
Councilor-at-Large (most recently at microphone 8)

Diedre Conkling
Lincoln County Library District
P.O. Box 2027
Newport, OR  97365