[Libs-Or] Basic book repair workshop in Oregon

Carolee Harrison carolee at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 26 16:47:29 PST 2010

Erica Findley wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been keeping my feelers out on this list serve, NW Central, OLA
> website, PLA schedules etc. for a basic book repair workshop. I have
> been coming up empty handed for a few months now. I was wondering if
> anyone was aware of a workshop in the Portland area or had any
> suggestions about where else I could look for this.
>
> I have found many great on-line resources and have begun doing some
> very basic repair on my own. However, I think for more involved hinge
> and spine repairs that a hands-on workshop would be very beneficial.
> Thank you.

Hi Erica & Libs-OR,

The Portland State University Library Media program offers a beginning
book repair class every fall term.  It meets for two weekend sessions (a
Friday evening and all day Saturday) at PSU and focuses on putting
library books back together using tried-and-true conservation
procedures.  Students may take the class for undergraduate or graduate
credit but there is also a non-credit option.

I'm the instructor, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you or
anyone else has about the class and what's in it -- unfortunately I
couldn't find any course information online at the moment, as the fall
term offerings are now out of date, but I can give you more specifics
directly if you'd like.  This year's class will meet on October 22
(4:30-8:30 p.m.) and October 23 (9-4).. some time from now, but just in
case!

Thanks,
Carolee

--
Carolee Harrison
Conservation, Portland State University Library
carolee at pdx.edu