[Libs-Or] Job Opening - Manager of Library Technologies at Portland State University
keecha at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:01:59 PDT 2010
*MANAGER OF LIBRARY TECHNOLOGIES *
*PORTLAND** STATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY*
The Manager of Library Technologies at the Portland State University
Library provides a key role in the leadership of the Library's
information technology infrastructure and services, including
supervision of the Library Technologies team's activities and staff.
This position oversees library technology projects and systems, and
works with system vendors, programmers, librarians, staff, and public
end-users to develop, evaluate, implement, and support a variety of
systems. Services and systems currently include: the Library's
integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces' Millennium system),
the Library's multiple Web sites, servers, and interfaces; major
applications for interlibrary loan and course reserves operations, the
PSU digital repository, instructional technology, and provision of staff
and public computing. This is a full-time, 12-month, unclassified,
excluded, unranked position. This position reports to the Associate
· Adhere to University and Library policies and procedures,
including Portland State University's Professional Standards of Conduct
· Manage the Library Technologies team of four staff and two
students. Plan, coordinate, and evaluate daily operations of the team's
activities, projects, and staff so as to provide timely, professional,
and consistent library service.
o Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate Library Technologies team
members, as necessary, maintaining established unit performance
standards and providing conflict resolution when necessary.
o Act as advocate of unit staff and be committed to staff development
and staff participation in unit planning and decision making; promote
high staff performance through teamwork, job training and enrichment,
encouragement of innovation and recognition for achievement.
o Manage technology-related vendor relations, including selection and
o Coordinate unit activities with those of other Library units.
· Lead the Integrated Library System (ILS) team and attend other
functional subgroups' meetings as necessary; provide oversight and
management of technical support and coordination for ILS-related issues
· Participate in the continual evaluation of the technologies
being provided in the Portland State Library, making suggestions for
service enhancements, greater efficiency, or cost containment; collect
and analyze management data for patterns and trends that suggest a need
for change, or positioning for the future; and prepare reports on
activities, problems, challenges, and accomplishments of acquisitions
· Ensure that the short- and long-range planning processes for
Library Technologies are anticipatory, rather than reactive, and that
they provide an effective means to meet the Library's mission and
priorities. Evaluate alternatives in terms of cost effectiveness,
quality of services, and larger institutional priorities.
· Participate in leadership within the Resource Services &
Technology (RST) unit through participation in the Coordinating Team
(C-Team), which helps to advise the Associate UL in the development of
unit-wide policies and guidelines.
· Coordinate communication concerning library
technologies-related issues, services, policies, and procedures with
library staff, users, academic units served, and external partners.
· Participate in promoting and providing visibility for a
positive, responsive image of the Library and its services to the
University community and the community at large.
· Communicate openly and professionally with staff, colleagues,
and with Library Administration.
· Participate in the establishment of short- and long-range
library information technology goals, objectives, and priorities,
aligned with those of the Library and the University.
· Maintain current expertise through participation in workshops,
classes, professional associations and networks, and through continued
awareness of the scholarly literature.
· Represent the Library at local, regional, and national
meetings, conferences and symposia, as assigned.
· Contribute to the work of relevant committees and workgroups
in the Library, the University, and the Orbis Cascade Alliance.
· Work independently and collaboratively with library users, and
library, campus, and consortial colleagues.
· Be committed to the principles of diversity and staff development.
· Other duties as assigned.
· B.A. or B.S., preferably in a related field.
· Evidence of two years or more experience managing information
technologies and systems.
· Demonstrated experience managing an integrated library
management system (Innovative Interfaces' Millennium system preferred).
· Demonstrated personnel management experience, including
hiring, training, and evaluation of staff.
· Working knowledge and/or experience managing Web sites and
· Demonstrated experience with budgeting, planning, and/or
project management, including the ability to prioritize and complete
tasks in relation to goals and objectives.
· Demonstrated proficiency in digital technologies,
applications, reporting, and utility tools.
· Evidence of excellent oral, written, interpersonal
· Ability to successfully pass a background check.
· Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends related to
*Preferred Qualifications: *
· ALA-accredited MLS or its equivalent.
· Experience in higher education/academic libraries.
· Experience with Innovative Interfaces' Millennium system,
OCLC's ILLiad system, Docutek ERes, and library digitization projects.
· Knowledge of Web technologies, standards, and software; Unix
and Windows operating systems; library information technology standards
and protocols; proxy servers and remote patron authentication; database
design, administration and reporting; common programming and scripting
languages; and metadata standards.
· Experience with Web authoring tools and graphical editing tools.
Located in one of the most livable cities in the United States, Portland
State University is a nationally recognized leader in community-based
learning, and is located on the tree-lined blocks of downtown Portland.
The University offers its 28,000 students more than 100 undergraduate,
graduate, and doctoral degrees.
*Salary and Benefits:*
Compensation and rank are commensurate with experience The salary range
begins at a minimum of $61,320, and includes an excellent benefits
package including fully paid health care, reduced tuition rates, and a
generous retirement and vacation package.
Review of applicants will begin approximately August 2nd, 2010, and will
remain open until finalists are identified.
Send cover letter; resume; and names, address, phone numbers, and e-mail
addresses of four references to: Anne Keech, Search Coordinator,
keecha at pdx.edu. Transcripts and background checks will be required for
finalists. In cover letter, address how your knowledge and experiences
meet qualifications. Electronic application materials are strongly
preferred (Word or .pdf documents). However, materials may be mailed to:
Portland State University Library -- LIBW
Post Office Box 1151
c/o Anne Keech, Search Coordinator
Portland, OR 97207-1151
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and
candidates who support diversity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or