[Libs-Or] New DVD at OSL: Making the Best of a Shrinking Budget

Jennifer Maurer maurer_jennifer at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Mar 29 16:00:14 PDT 2010

On January 29, 2010, the College of DuPage sponsored a webcast called Making the Best of a Shrinking Budget: Creative Practices in a New Economy as part of its Library Futures: Staying Ahead of the Curve series.  It was made available free of charge to staff from Oregon libraries through a statewide membership to BCR (http://www.bcr.org/), paid for by the Oregon State Library with LSTA funds.  A recording of that webcast is now available for checkout in DVD format.  Running time is 90 minutes.

Evaluation Survey for Making the Best of a Shrinking Budget
If you viewed the webcast or the DVD, please take 5 minutes to fill out an online evaluation.
http://library.state.or.us/services/surveys/survey.php?sid=325
Webcast Description from the College of DuPage Press
"Costs rise while budgets and our buying power shrink.  And if we want to innovate, the incorporation of new formats and technologies taxes our budgets even further.  Librarians, traditionally used to budgets with modest or no growth, now face steep cuts.

In the face of insufficient funding, libraries reduce hours, cut subscriptions, step up their resource sharing efforts, engage in consortial buys, outsource where possible, use staff more creatively, deal more aggressively with vendors, boost fundraising efforts, mount advocacy campaigns, seek open source solutions, seek input from focus groups to prioritize services, and even merge with other libraries. . .

Join Leslie Burger, Director of the Princeton (NJ) Public Library and founder of Library Development Solutions, Alice Calabrese-Berry, Executive Director of Metropolitan (Chicago) Library System and Mary Case, Director of Libraries at the University of Illinois at Chicago for a discussion of best ways to deal with these difficult budget trends.   What principles should guide librarians in saving money?  How can we sustain our core services?  Our panelists will share their knowledge and experience and explore creative library practices in this new economy."
Requesting Materials from OSL
If you would like to request this or other materials from the State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, work shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant