[Libs-Or] A collection items of possible interest on medicine and science

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Fri Oct 29 13:26:48 PDT 2010

Hi, all. I have been poking around various social networking sites in the sciences and would like to pass along another bunch of links to items I found interesting.

I don’t know if this is widely known or not, but it is neat if you want to generate word clouds. Really cool!

http://www.wordle.net/

This is one I made:

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2631758/ResearchRaven_Call_for_Papers

The Data Publishing Three-Step

http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2010/07/the-data-publishing-three-step.php

And this is a helpful video about the neat tool Openheatmap:

http://www.openheatmap.com/

The video below is a overly long (around 50 minutes and many talking heads), but the examples of data visualization shown are worth seeing

Journalism in the Age of Data

http://datajournalism.stanford.edu/

A Taxonomy of Data Science

http://www.dataists.com/2010/09/a-taxonomy-of-data-science/

The Data Science Venn Diagram

http://www.dataists.com/2010/09/the-data-science-venn-diagram/

Open Licenses vs Public Licenses

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/10/15/open-licenses-vs-public-licenses/

If all You Have is a Hammer” - How Useful is Humanitarian Crowdsourcing?

http://mobileactive.org/how-useful-humanitarian-crowdsourcing

Wolfram Alpha – Two Sm at rt 4 teh Interwebs? (video)

http://singularityhub.com/2010/10/25/wolfram-alpha-two-smrt-4-teh-interwebs-video/

See the Future with a Search

A Web startup demos a "predictive" search engine.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/26452/?nlid=3583

Here is the video—kind of clever but no real breakthrough:

https://www.recordedfuture.com/

This is potentially interesting

Alt-metrics: a manifesto
http://altmetrics.org/manifesto/

because one of the signers is Cameron Neylon and he is one of the leaders of Open Science (and likes manifestos and big documents like the Panton Principles http://pantonprinciples.org/)

Cute little thing:

ReaderMeter: Crowdsourcing research impact

http://www.academicproductivity.com/2010/readermeter-crowdsourcing-research-impact/

Here is the tool:

http://readermeter.org/

Conflicts of Interest at Medical Journals: The Influence of Industry-Supported Randomised Trials on Journal Impact Factors and Revenue – Cohort Study

Fascinating argument here, “Conclusions: Publication of industry-supported trials was associated with an increase in journal impact factors. Sales of reprints may provide a substantial income. We suggest that journals disclose financial information in the same way that they require them from their authors, so that readers can assess the potential effect of different types of papers on journals' revenue and impact.”

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1000354

Self-motivated vs. mandated archiving

http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2010/10/26/self-motivated-vs-mandated-archiving/http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2010/10/26/self-motivated-vs-mandated-archiving/

The Stein Taxonomy: An Analytic Model for Social Reading
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/10/28/the-stein-taxonomy-an-analytic-model-for-social-reading/

Here is a useful piece on ghostwriters in medicine:

Interview With a Ghost (Writer)

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2010/10/29/interview-with-a-ghost-writer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScholarlyKitchen+(The+Scholarly+Kitchen)

Where Good Ideas Come From

http://www.technologyreview.com/web/26656/?nlid=3707

Why don't more science bloggers cite their images?

http://glendonmellow.blogspot.com/2010/10/why-dont-more-science-bloggers-cite.html

MARC isn’t Dead, but it is a Dead End
http://dltj.org/article/marc-as-dead-end/

What are your favorite complicated diagrams?

http://www.quora.com/Diagrams/What-are-your-favorite-complicated-diagrams#ans138556

Is Goo.gl really the fastest URL shortener? (chart)

http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/10/29/is-goo-gl-really-the-fastest-url-shortener-chart/

Some thoughts on principles for scientific attribution

http://blogs.plos.org/mfenner/2010/10/28/some-thoughts-on-principles-for-scientific-attribution/

And this a neat idea for keeping donors happy that even small hospital libraries that have online catalogs could try:

Virtual bookplates
Enhancing donor recognition and library development

http://crln.acrl.org/content/71/8/419.full

And this is a wonderful article that all librarians should read:

Lessons from the fiction desk: Becoming a better academic librarian at the public library

http://crln.acrl.org/content/71/7/358.full

And, never one to let an opportunity for self promotion slip by, I am including a link to the PDF of my talk, “They Do Public Health Differently There: Opportunities for Publication and Networking in the Humanities and Social Sciences.” If you would pass that along to nurse researchers and public health folks, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.oregonpublichealth.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=20:site-content&id=75:2010-opha-conference-presentations

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality