[Libs-Or] Volunteer Opportunity

D Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Wed Jan 12 11:15:01 PST 2011

I think the discussion is useful, as well. No tomatoes! Discusssing the library
profession is one thing within the confines of a conference or private meeting. But,
we also have to put this issue "out there".

I have three comments on what you have said:
1. From my experience many times non-professionals think that a "library" situation
is very simple when it is more complex.  Unless someone with a professional eye has
evaluated the situation I would not put complete faith in what the original poster
assumes is needed.

2. It's one thing to volunteer for a small non-profit with no funds, quite another
an organization such as this. Assuming their professionally designed website is a
reflection of the institution, I would doubt that Providence must barter for what
they are asking.

3. Please see this article from the Oregonian last May:

"The insidious rise in unpaid internships can run afoul of federal guidelines"

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/03/the_insidious_
rise_in_unpaid_i.html

Donna

Donna L. Cohen, MLIS, MEd, Information Management Consultant
D. L. Cohen Information Services
Portland, Oregon
503-737-1425
dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
www.dcoheninfo.com
Managing your organization's information and knowledge. Information is power...if
you can find it!

  _____