[Libs-Or] Interesting article by our own Buzzy Nielsen

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Wed Jan 19 05:03:16 PST 2011

Hi, all. I would just like to draw your attention to a fascinating report co-authored by Paul Courant and Oregon's own Matthew "Buzzy" Nielsen of the North Bend Public Library in the volume, "The Idea of Order: Transforming Research Collections for 21st Century Scholarship." The article in question is entitled, "On the Cost of Keeping a Book." The PDF of the entire volume can be downloaded for free here:

https://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub147abst.html

The report is a must-read review and primer on what exactly is entailed vis-a-vis cost of storage, labor, time, etc. in maintaining print collections. I found this sentence, for instance, quite interesting, "...print books (hereafter referred to as pbooks when it is important
to distinguish them from electronic books, or ebooks)."

Thank you, Buzzy, for setting such a sterling example of edifying, impressively documented, timely scholarship. Recommended reading for anyone who needs data on the actual costs incurred in library operations and would like to gain a grasp of the whole e-book versus print debate.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services