[Libs-Or] L-net training in Portland

Emily PAPAGNI emilyp at multco.us
Thu Nov 10 10:57:51 PST 2011

Hello,

Introductory training on L-net, Oregon's Statewide Digital Reference
Service, is scheduled for:

Thursday, December 8, 9:00 - 4:00
PCC Sylvania Campus Library, Room 212
12000 Southwest 49th Avenue
Portland, OR 97219-7132

Another training is scheduled for:

Tuesday, December 13, 9:00 - 4:00
PCC Sylvania Campus Library, Room 212
12000 Southwest 49th Avenue
Portland, OR 97219-7132

L-net is Oregon's statewide virtual reference service -
http://www.oregonlibraries.net.

These trainings are for librarians who plan to take shifts staffing L-net's
chat, e-mail, and texting service. Librarians will receive hands-on
training with L-net’s software and instruction on techniques for
communicating effectively online with patrons and providing reference
service online.

There are two ways to staff L-net:

1 - Partner libraries: Reference staff at Oregon libraries may staff the
service as partner libraries. Librarians who do so staff the service at
their libraries.

2 - Volunteers: If you’ve completed a Reference class in the past 10 years
from an ALA-accredited college or university or if you have experience
providing reference services in a library, you may apply to be a volunteer.
Volunteers typically staff the service from home computers. If you would
like to participate in the volunteer program, contact me for information
about how to apply to be a volunteer.

The training is free, but space is limited and advance registration is
required. If you would like to attend, contact me and let me know if you
would like to staff L-net at a partner library or as a volunteer.

Emily Papagni, emilyp at multco.us

If you would like to attend, you only need to attend one of these two
training dates.

*Registration for the December 8 training will close on Thursday, December
1.*

*Registration for the December 13 training will close on Tuesday, December
6.*

If you’re interested in the training, but unable to attend on either of
these dates, please contact me. I'm continuing to schedule additional
trainings around the state.

Also, all Oregon libraries are welcome to use L-net software to serve their
local communities.  Staffing our statewide service is not required.  To
provide chat, texting, or email service to your community, please contact
me for information and to schedule your training.

Emily Papagni

L-net Partner Support Librarian
Multnomah County Library
Phone: 503.988.5433