[Libs-Or] INFORMATION: We know that access to effective school library programs, staffed by trained school librarians, has a positive impact on student achievement”

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:32:36 PST 2011

“We know that access to effective school library programs, staffed by
trained school librarians, has a positive impact on student achievement” –
five senators show their support
Posted on November 10,
2011<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2011/11/we-know-that-access-to-effective-school-library-programs-staffed-by-trained-school-librarians-has-a-positive-impact-on-student-achievement-five-senators-show-their-support/>
by Jacob Roberts <http://www.districtdispatch.org/author/jroberts/>|

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2011/11/we-know-that-access-to-effective-school-library-programs-staffed-by-trained-school-librarians-has-a-positive-impact-on-student-achievement-five-senators-show-their-support/

<http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/librarykid.jpg>As
the national debate over
education<http://www.districtdispatch.org/tag/education/>continues, we
commend Senators Jack Reed, Chuck Grassley, Debbie Stabenow,
Roger Wicker and Olympia Snowe for recognizing the importance of supporting
children’s access to books and literacy services, especially through
their school
libraries <http://www.districtdispatch.org/category/school-libraries/>.
Ensuring that all children, especially those from disadvantaged
communities, can learn to love reading which helps them attain a
21stcentury education to prepare for college and career.

In their letter to the Senate Chairmen and Ranking Members, they stated:

Literacy remains at the core of academic achievement for all children, and
is a strong indicator for long-term success and opportunity. Exposure to
books is an essential part of early childhood literacy and preparation for
school. yet, two-thirds of America’s children living in poverty have no
books at home, and the number of families living in poverty is on the rise.
Additionally, *we know that access to effective school library programs,
staffed by trained school librarians, has a positive impact on student
achievement, and offers students a way to develop and hone skills,
including how to find and use information, that are critical for meeting
college and career-ready standards.*

By providing funding for book distribution, early literacy services, and
effective school library programs, the Senate Appropriations Committee made
an important statement about the importance of ensuring that disadvantaged
students have access to these critical tools for success in school and in
life. We are grateful for your leadership in this area and urge you to
ensure that this critical funding is included in the bill that is sent to
the President.

The full text of their letter is available
here<http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fy12_literacyfunding.pdf>(pdf).
We thank these senators for this important step and encourage
library advocates of all stripes to do the same. Please contact Senators Jack
Reed <http://capwiz.com/ala/bio/?id=523>, Chuck
Grassley<http://capwiz.com/ala/bio/?id=248>,
Debbie Stabenow <http://capwiz.com/ala/bio/?id=320>, Roger
Wicker<http://ala.capwiz.com/bio/id/343>and Olympia
Snowe <http://ala.capwiz.com/bio/id/282> and let them know you appreciate
their support for libraries.

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 WAR IS OBSOLETE<http://www.facebook.com/pages/WAR-IS-OBSOLETE/297916183027>
Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person
to keel over. - Unknown Author