[Libs-Or] OSLIS Lite

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Oct 19 14:19:09 PDT 2011

Here's an update about OSLIS, which is an information literacy website and the portal to the statewide databases for K12 students and educators in Oregon. Today I posted this on the Oregon school library listservs:

In order to give you stable access to the most popular resources on OSLIS and to allow time for the contracted vendor to fix the original OSLIS, we have created OSLIS Lite. It has links to the Gale databases, LearningExpress Library, and the three versions of Citation Maker. When you go to any of these domain names, you will be directed to OSLIS Lite:

oslis.org

www.oslis.org<http://www.oslis.org>

secondary.oslis.org

elementary.oslis.org

secondary.educator.oslis.org

elementary.educator.oslis.org

If you have a longer OSLIS URL bookmarked on your school or library website, maybe test it? If you get an error message, change the link to one of those in the list above. No matter which you choose, you will get the same one-page site called OSLIS Lite.

When you click on the Gale header or logo from OSLIS Lite, you will be directed to the Gale common menu. (Those in schools without IP addresses on file with Gale will get a login screen first, as usual.) That is a list of all the Gale databases available statewide, and from it you can search three ways.

*         Simply add your search term and click on "Continue" to simultaneously search all of the cross-searchable databases, which are already selected by default.

*         Or, add your search term, unclick "Select All" and check the Select box next to the specific databases you want to search simultaneously, and then click on "Continue."

*         Or, click on the name or logo of a specific database to search just it.

I've done a lot of testing and have not had problems using OSLIS Lite. If you have any problems with it, please report the specifics to me.

Thanks again for your patience. I'll be in touch about OSLIS again when we are ready to transition to the fixed and fuller version.

FYI,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant