[Libs-Or] Suggestions for library program on Facebook?

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:40:47 PDT 2011

I found this on Webjunction: Facebook for TechnoSeniors Workshop -
http://www.webjunction.org/technology-training/-/articles/content/110254954.
It is from 2010 so doesn't have the recent changes.

I also looked on PUBLIB using this search string: Facebook classes publib
site:lists.webjunction.org and found a number of posts.  I haven't looked at
them all but here are a couple.

1.  At http://www.bcpl.org/info/computer-classes/ there is a recent pdf
about how to use Facebook that might be helpful.

2.  [Publib] reL beginning Facebook class for the public
<http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/publib/2010-August/134346.html>
( http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/publib/2010-August/134352.html ) :
When we tried a class at our library, I set up a fake Facebook account
to use as a demonstration.  I set it up for my dog (in the email class,
we set up a hotmail account for our library's guinea pig, so this kept
with the pet theme).  I think it worked pretty well as a means of
showing what Facebook could do, without having to disclose personal
information.  It was also pretty easy to set up a quick email address
through Yahoo to attach to it, so any library staff member could make
changes, and the account isn't tied to me specifically.  I hope that
helps!
~Annie Fuller

3.  http://lists.webjunction.org/wjlists/publib/2010-August/134351.html
We teach a beginning Facebook class.

I use Facebook screen shots from the Goodwill tutorials -
www.gcflearnfree.org   The tutorials is free and user friendly.

I created a Facebook page for the library - using my name but a separate
account from my personal one.  This is the site I used  for the class
handouts and use to show live where the settings are for all the
options, privacy, etc.  I do not open or use my personal account.

Andrea

4.  Not really a class, but I have a page on Facebook & Privacy aimed at the
public:

http://parkcountylibrary.org/facebook-and-privacy/

Laura Crossett

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 WAR IS OBSOLETE<http://www.facebook.com/pages/WAR-IS-OBSOLETE/297916183027>
Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person to
keel over. - Unknown Author