[Libs-Or] Questions regarding public computer set-ups & reservation management options

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:10:58 PST 2012

The Siletz Public Library has 2 of the multi-station computers from Userful
and they are working great.  I think they cost a little more at start-up
but over time they are not too expensive.  We haven't had any problems
which were not addressed very quickly and through their remote access.
This means staff does not have to spend much time with the computers
upgrading or troubleshooting.  We also don't need to pay for technical
help, which is great since we do not have an IT person on staff.

The staff really like the way they can remotely manage the stations from
the Circulation Desk.  They had not had a system that would time out users
before but this is just part of the Userful package.  They also like that
they can set the computers to shut down a little before closing time.  I
think there might be an additional cost to have patrons sign-on to the
computers using a library card and pin number but we did not have a use for
this so I am not sure.

We don't reserve computers ahead of time anymore.  We did for awhile but it
has worked better for the staff and patrons just to have a first come/first
served situation.  With the computers automatically timing out at the end
of an hour (the amount of time we give users but this can be adjusted) we
have been able to quickly accommodate 99% or more of our users quickly and
efficiently.

Here is some information from the Userful manual,
http://support.userful.com/wiki/index.php/Manuals/UD/Remote_Monitoring_%26_Control_User_Guide
.
I know that I am not fully addressing your questions but maybe this
information will help.

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 WAR IS OBSOLETE<http://www.facebook.com/pages/WAR-IS-OBSOLETE/297916183027>
Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person
to keel over. - Unknown Author