[Libs-Or] Questions regarding public computer set-ups & reservation management options

Buzzy Nielsen buzzy at hoodriverlibrary.org
Wed Feb 1 12:26:15 PST 2012

I originally sent this only to K'Lyn (although I slightly modified it
since then), but perhaps others of you would be interested.

While I haven't used Userful (although I've been impressed with them),
my last library in Coos County used home-rolled Linux desktops, and I'm
migrating Hood River over to them, too. I'd never go back to Windows or
Mac OS. They're so much easier in terms of security, and you're able to
get so much more out of the machine in terms of speed and features. I'd
highly recommend it. In case you're curious, a colleague and I presented
on using Linux on public computers a few years ago at Online Northwest.
It speaks a bit to pros and cons. Here are the slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/nbpl/linux-desktops

For what it's worth, Coos County uses Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/>,
and Hood River is going to be using Linux Mint <http://linuxmint.com/>
(which is related to Ubuntu). Userful uses a different distribution
called Fedora <http://fedoraproject.org/>. All three are very nice,
stable, and fast dsitributions of Linux.

We chose not to go with Userful not because they have a bad product.
Quite to the contrary, it's nice and well-thought out. Instead, we just
wanted to be able to alter the suite of software and the overall
computing environment more than they were currently offering. Still,
they are well worth looking into.

We use a time management software called Libki ( http://libki.org/).
It's simple right now (only time tracking currently), but is improving
continually.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers!
Buzzy Nielsen

Library Director
Hood River County Library District