[Libs-Or] electricity jockeys

Jim Knutson tintin at exchangenet.net
Thu Jan 12 12:43:14 PST 2012

In Oregon, libraries that have this will have to have attendants who plug in the cars -- no "self-serve." Right?

RE:

From: Erin Sharwell

Yeah, I really don't know the answers to any of these questions! I'll see if I can find out.

Erin

From: Karen Clay

OMG - poor Erin is never going to answer a question again!

Though I must say I am very curious myself about how it's working out.

Karen

Hope Leman wrote:

Or by a vendor (in a sort of gas station role) who pays a fee to the library? Does it work for non-car vehicles?

Hope Leman

From: Judy Anderson

And are the costs paid by the user or by tax dollars?

Judy

From: Hope Leman

Are there any safety/liability issues? Pros/cons with parking and this is not my job sort of things?

Hope Leman

From: Judy Anderson

How often are they being used?

Judy

From:Erin Sharwell

Yes, we have two charging stations at our Main library.  :)

Erin Sharwell
Technical Services Librarian
HILLSBORO PUBLIC LIBRARY

Hope started it:

From: Hope Leman

Hi, all. I came across the item below today

http://www.azcentral.com/community/surprise/articles/2011/12/12/20111212charging-stations-electric-cars-coming-peoria.html#ixzz1jBhut3jq

and noticed this rather interesting part of the article, " Any location where you will potentially spend an hour or two is a good place for a charger, and the library is a place where users return week after week, not once every few months."

I just wondered if any libraries in Oregon are doing this. Librarians pretty enterprising when it comes to community outreach and public services.

Hope Leman, MLIS