[Libs-Or] Library cards for homeless/those without permanent address

Jane Salisbury janesa at multcolib.org
Mon Jul 9 11:02:35 PDT 2012

Hello,

There are some creative ways to serve and welcome all, and I think many
libraries have tried to write policies that cover many kinds of life
circumstances.

At Multnomah County, there are some pertinent sections in our circulation
manual that address these issues.  Here are a couple of excerpts:

" If a patron is unwilling or unable to meet the legal name, residential
address or photo identification requirements for security or physical
reasons, an exception may be made on an individual basis by a supervisor or
Account Management staff member."

"New patrons are required to provide a residential address and show
identification to receive a Multnomah County Library card. ...Patrons who
do not have a permanent residential address may give the address where they
are residing on that day or the address of a shelter where they can receive
mail.

There are services in Portland that will provide a mailing address, allow
the mailing address to be used to obtain identification and/or will assist
patrons with getting identification. For services outside of Portland, call
211 for other assistance options.

These organizations have mail or identification services:
 ORGANIZATION LOCATION/PHONE SERVICES  (May receive mail at location *) City
Team Ministries 526 SE GRAND AVE
 503.231.9334 Use mailing address for identification * Outside In (ages 18
to 24  only) 1132 SW 13 AVE
 503.535.3800* Birth certificate assistance
 Transgender name and identification assistance*
 Use mailing address for identification * Portland Rescue Mission 111 W
BURNSIDE ST
 503.647.7466 Use mailing address for identification * Salvation Army
 Harbor Light Shelter
 (veterans only) 30 SW 2 AVE
 503.239.1259 Residents may use mailing address for identification SAFE -
Salvation Army
 Female Emergency Center
 (single women only) 11 NW 5th AVE
 503.227.8681 Residents and clients may use mailing address
 for identification Sisters of the Road Café 133 NW 6 AVE
 503.222.5694 Use mailing address for identification St. Francis Parish 330
SE 11 AVE Use mailing address for identification * TPI - Transition
Projects Inc.
  Bud Clark Commons 650 NW Irving ST
 503.823.4930* Identification assistance
 *Use mailing address for identification *
 Note: ID assistance is offered by lottery.  Bring your Social
 Security card and a statement from DHS stating that
 income is less than $677 per month.  Call or visit for times
 and more information.

*1. Obtaining identification*

a. Because library card and guest pass registrations require
identification, patrons may need assistance with obtaining identification.

b. See the chart above for organizations that will provide a mailing
address for the purposes of obtaining an Oregon State Identification card.

c. For other identification information, please call:

   - 503-299-9999 for Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requirements
   - 1-800-772-1213 for Social Security requirements.
   - 211 for other assistance options.

*2. Mailing address*

a.   Patrons must be able to receive mail from the library. Proof of
address is not required at registration. Patrons who do not have a
permanent residential address may give the address where they are residing
on that day or the address of a shelter where they can receive mail.

Several shelters have mail services where patrons can receive mail. See the
chart above. Patrons may use a shelter mailing address as their residential
address."
What we are trying at Multnomah County to is provide a combination of
useful information for patrons who may need ID and don't have it, and a
generous address policy so that people are able to use the library.  In my
view, the library should accompany a clear policy with an ethic of service
to all.  Thus, we try to offer as many services as we can, such as deposit
collections, to local shelters and drop-in centers, and to welcome all into
our buildings.

I have been involved with library service to homeless people for many
years, and the first question is often about getting library materials
back.  It's an understandable question, but I have always wished that the
first question would be "How shall we best serve people who are homeless?"

Jane

--
*Jane Salisbury*
Supervisor, Library Outreach Services