[Libs-Or] Library cards for homeless/those without permanent address

Bob Jones Bob.Jones at milton-freewater-or.gov
Mon Jul 9 14:54:28 PDT 2012

Candise, I suspect your library's primary mission is to serve the faculty, staff, and students of your college, with limited, if any, service to the general public.  That's as it should be, because your funding comes from your college.

Likewise, my library's primary mission is to serve those who fund it, the taxpayers of Milton-Freewater and the Umatilla County Special Library District.  Through reciprocal borrowing agreements we also serve the patrons of other libraries in the Sage Library System.  If someone from outside that network comes in, they are free to use our books and other materials in the library.  If, however, they wish to carry our materials away from the library, they need a card, just like our local residents do.  Because visitors are not paying taxes to make these materials available, our generous free service to them stops at the door.  If they wish to borrow materials, there is an annual fee for getting a library card, and they must present ID from an approved list of acceptable items.

Why?  Because it would not be fair to our taxpayers to provide unlimited library services to those who pay no taxes to us.  Because my boss, the City Manager, expects me to take reasonable steps to ensure that materials which leave the building will return to it.

If I go to the public library in Walla Walla or Boise or Dubuque should I expect them to loan books to me?  No.  Why not?  Because they have the same responsibilities to their taxpayers and their local government that I have to mine.  If they allow me to use materials within their building, and do it at no charge, isn't that sufficiently generous?  How much more should I expect from them?

I'm sure that when a member of your college community checks out materials from your library, there is a penalty for failure to return them.  If you failed to maintain control over your collection, your bosses would hold you responsible for the losses; if too many items were lost, you would be penalized or even fired.

Homeless people also fall into a category of people who are not paying property taxes to support the library.  In addition, they fall into a category of people who would be difficult or impossible to track down and hold responsible if they failed to return materials.  Those are two good reasons to limit their use of library materials to within the confines of the library building.  By doing so we are not denying them access to library materials; in fact we are generously allowing them use of a building and a collection they are not supporting with property tax dollars.  What we are doing is exercising prudent control over a million dollars worth of materials for which we are responsible by not allowing them to carry those materials away.

I have compassion for homeless people, but I am not a social worker and the library is not a social service agency;  I'm a librarian and the library is an educational institution.  What I do for homeless people on my time is up to me, but what I do for them on the job as a city employee is limited by the ordinances and funding which govern the library.