[Libs-Or] Late fees (was: Library cards for homeless/those without permanent address)

Abbie Anderson aanderson at cclsd.org
Tue Jul 10 15:07:48 PDT 2012

I had the privilege of working at FVRL as my first job out of library
school. It was great to not have to deal with late fees. The question
was periodically revisited, and each time an analysis was done it was
found that the costs of implementing fines (develop cash handling
procedures, invest in cashiering equipment, train staff, prepare for
increased time with upset patrons) were found to be greater than the
potential income.

Of course, the decision to *stop* charging late fees involves different
questions. Can we afford the lost revenue? Will people become more
careless with materials if we don't have fines? (as Dierdre said, the
research says no--I don't have a citation either!) Will the customer
service time and customer relations gains balance out the lost income?

Some of this depends on your patron base. Some communities have an
ingrained attitude that not only do you get what you pay for, but that
if it's free, it's not worth anything (or not as good). At FVRL, we were
taught to avoid telling people (or putting on our publicity) that
something was "free"--because it's not free, it takes money and effort
and knowledge and expertise to deliver the materials, services, and
programs that the library offers. It's just free of charge at point of
service. :)

The flip side of FVRL's generous library card policy was that if you do
*not* live in a place with a tax-supported library--including just
outside the city limits in the "border" branch where I worked--you had
to pay for a library card. This caused regular difficulties in my
branch, since many of our regulars lived outside that jurisdictional
border, and often couldn't afford the quarterly payment of their library
card fee. We could give a card to someone who owns property in
Connecticut, but not to someone renting a trailer in unincorporated
Cowlitz County (five minutes' drive away). All the Lane County libraries
know what I'm talking about! At FVRL we could offer people an
Internet-only library card for free, but if they wanted to check out
materials and lived outside our borders, they had to pay. There was no
in-between (no limited-use card), IIRC. That policy may have changed
since I left in 2009.

And now my lunch break is over and I can stop releasing overheated
atmospheric contributions!
Abbie