[Libs-Or] does Oregon need reference librarians?

Terry Mackey terrym at clackamas.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:07:32 PDT 2012

Hello,

I would agree that reference has changed. Here are some interesting statistics from our students' use of EBSCO Academic Search Premier.

In the month of February of 2005 our students conducted 11,151 searches and retrieved 4,839 fulltext documents.

In the month of February of 2011 our students conducted 60,032 searches and retrieved 4,442 fulltext documents.

During this same six years the total number of questions answered at the reference desk has gone down. We keep daily statistics at Clackamas. Questions about how to print and use the Microsoft Office suite dominate our time. I believe this is consistent with the findings of the 2010 ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information.

So, I believe Clackamas students still need help, (lots of help) but traditional reference assistance probably isn't reaching the Freshman and Sophomore students when they need it.

Just mt 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

Terry Mackey
Library Department Chair
Clackamas Community College