[Libs-Or] does Oregon need reference librarians?

spierson at cclsd.org spierson at cclsd.org
Wed Oct 3 13:09:35 PDT 2012

I think reference is still alive and well.  Granted it is changing and
evolving right along with libraries.  I'm not answering the same kinds
of questions as I was 10 years ago but I am still answering a lot of
them.  Also I think as budgets shrink, the luxury of a reference
librarian (as only function) is going away.  Much more cross training
now and more and more being packed into a job description.  But I do
think it would be a shame to not expect librarians to perform reference
work and know about sources.  It is a skill that can transfer to so many
different things.  And we are still in the info business regardless of
format so information literacy and passing that on is still very
important.  My 2 cents.