[Libs-Or] does Oregon need reference librarians?

Alan Cordle acordle at pcc.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:01:20 PDT 2012

Hi,

Back in the day (I attended library school part-time between 1993 and
1996), we not only had the required reference class, but for my track, in
academic reference, I had a humanities reference course and one in the
social sciences as well. I could have taken one in the sciences, but
didn't. I can't remember what others were offered. The classes were
invaluable. Database-wise, we were limited to Dialog and maybe Lexis-Nexis
if I remember correctly.

But what I loved, especially in my humanities class, was writing
evaluations of print reference sources. I believe that library school
faculty could create similar assignments for specialized databases that
would serve students well.

Like Max, I believe that reference is best learned through experience. I
really valued the time I learned from mentors at the reference desks where
I've worked. I've also noticed that some newer librarians (is it
generational?) think they know it all because they can type a keyword into
a database. Good reference is about listening to patrons and observing
colleagues.

Thanks,
Alan